Tuesday 17 November 2015

How to raise a good eater? My secret - Practice Patience and Perseverance

I always have parents inquire about my children breakfast and their diet. In this page, I will blog on my children breakfast, the challenge I receive when I change their breakfast or introduce new food, and how I overcome the challenges.

Parents have to be a role model to the children when introducing new food and practicing perseverance. When it comes to raising good eaters in the family, my key to success is practice, patience and perseverance. I have been receiving comments and questions on how I am able to get the kids eat healthy food like taking green juice and taking fruits as breakfast in the morning. Firstly, parents have to be the role model eating the food when introducing the children new food. 

Since the last  Dr Chen's health talk on 13th September , our family has change our breakfast diet. We start out morning with plain water. The kids will take   Nutrifresh (soy beverage with 15 types of fruits and vegetables) and  Aromatic beverage (high in natural calcium and plant base amino acids
and a bowl of fruits every morning. The types of fruits are apples, pears, avocados, persimmons, kiwis, blueberries, strawberries, honey dew melon, bananas, dragon fruits and oranges. We will have different fruits through out the week.
W is having his nutritious drink  nutrifresh and aromatic beverage aromatic beverage with pear, persimmons, apple and kiwi.

K is having apple, persimmons, bananas and pears.

Resistance in the house when we change our morning routine

Previously, our morning breakfast consisted of either pancakes, home made bread, egg sandwiches or banana cakes. I started to notice that my kids diet are very high in carbohydrates. The butter in sandwiches, eggs and mayonnaise in sandwiches are high in fat, cholesterol and calories. On top of the morning breakfast, they will have the same food around 10:00am in school. 

My mother would tell me, they are kids and can take mayonnaise, butter and eggs for breakfast. However, I was telling myself when the kids eat eggs, bread, mayonnaise for most part of their life as breakfast during childhood and teenage year. Do you think it is easy to change their diet when they grow to adult and old age?

Since the last  Dr Chen's heatlh talk on 13th September, I understand of the importance of having breakfast that are low in calories, high in fiber, no oil or sugar and cholesterol that is beneficial to optimal health. I will be attending her health talk health talk on 22nd November for more health knowledge. 

My kids accepted the breakfast of having fruits well during the first week, however my second son (W) started complaining on the second week. W was whining and told me that he did not want to eat the fruits. I negotiated with him that he can take half the bowl of fruits and then have bread. W agreed but most of the time he would finish his whole bowl of fruit. By the time he finishes his fruits, he will be so full that he does not want any bread. Whenever, I get my older two to corporate with my breakfast routine, the youngest K will just follow sister and brother.

We have been having the fruit for breakfast for 2.5 months and the kids are accepting well. 

Instilling Perseverance in children

This Book Web caught my eye when we visited the library. Since perseverance is a necessary ingredients for student achievement, it needs to be encouraged. Helping children learn to be patient and to persist in spite of failure are attributes that will contribute to their future success. Feel free to message me if you want a list of kids books on instilling perseverance or head down to the local library to get a copy of book web.




See other blogs here


Pei Lin LEE
83323173
Eat healthy Live Happy.















No comments:

Post a Comment